March meeting notes
Attending: Sheila, Coll, Todd, Dorcie, Orin, Jeff M., Jason, guest Bill (he rides a Vespa GT 200). Tom was out with the flu.
The meeting was called to order at 10:32 am.
* St. Pat’s Parade/Pi Run: We were a hit at the parade! Parade organizers said, “We love the new addition to our parade.” Which sounds like an invitation for next year, doesn’t it? Joel bought out a party store’s supply of green-bead necklaces, which he gave out to people on the parade route. Sixteen scooters and 18 riders participated. Talk of a drill-team routine for next year.
Most parade participants went on the Pi Run. The sun came out! Everyone had a great time, the pie was delicious. March 14 is a Thursday in 2013; St. Patrick’s Day is on Sunday, doubling up on Saturday the 16th would seem likely.
* Hamster Run: Dorcie will get in touch with Vespa Lynnwood regarding sponsorship. Regarding the t-shirt, Django said some simplification of the Vegas sign graphic would be necessary to keep the cost of the t-shirt reasonable. Dorcie and I discussed options, which she executed brilliantly. Dorcie also created a patch design that DOES include a scooter (the t-shirt will not), which is ridden by a hamster, of course.
At this point, there is no Hamster Run committee. Volunteers are needed. Also, donations of raffle prizes would be appreciated, even something you might just buy and donate yourself. Tom is in charge of food; a pig roast on Saturday night is being studied. Online t-shirt pre-orders will be available shortly, and Jeff said there’s an inexpensive device that makes it possible for smartphones to accept credit/debit card payments. A route for the Saturday Poker Run is being planned by Todd.
* Victoria: Five rooms are left in the block Todd reserved at Paul’s Motor Inn. Get in touch with Todd if you want one of these rooms; see the club Web site (http://www.scootersofbellingham.org) for info on how to reserve a room at the group rate. This year’s rally has a James Bond theme. The idea of buying a commuter ticket book for the WSF ferry ride from Anacortes was mentioned (it saves a few bucks on each fare), but whether this is available on international routes was not known.
* Membership: If you haven’t paid dues, please do. Cost is $20.00. Dan made some flyers to carry when you ride, so as to leave one on any parked scooter you see.
* Midweek evening rides: We’ll start these up again in April (unless it snows ). New meetup spot will be Kulshan Brewery on James St. Further details to come.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 11:05 am.
Orin O’Neill for